Dear grade four families,
|Coming Up & Due Dates…|
- PLF (No School) – May 7
- No School – May 21
- Victoria Day (No School) – May 24
|Parent Info. & Thank You|
Calling all families with students returning to WGH in fall 2021! We are starting our Spring Registration Rush. Please confirm your child’s spot for the fall with this form. The first class to get 100% confirmations will receive a fun-filled sports afternoon!
Reading Log, Spelling & Mathletics: Please have students bring in their physical reading log to me every Monday, to earn their “OH SNAP!” points. Reading every night for 20 mins 5x a week is their assigned homework in grade 4 (as well as Mathletics 3x a week, and their words their way sorts for 10-15 minutes every night), students truly need to make this a priority at home in order to continue to progress in their literacy, comprehension, spelling, and numeracy skills.
All students will be continuing their Multiplication Intensive Program for 30 minutes each school day (from 9:30-10am) to learn their 0-12 multiplication facts inside and out before they go to grade 5. Once this program is completed, students will be completing the division intensive program as well!
All math groups will be reviewing time and learning area & perimeter this week with a project from 10:15-11:15 everyday!
Students will be completing the “Run a Grocery Store” Project. This project will deal with concepts such as:
- Time to the Minute
- Graphing & Date
- Area & Perimeter
- And more!
Students will be tested on Area & Perimeter April 30th.
- Writing: This week we will be creating an informational poster (in groups) on our social studies unit instead of doing a test. Students will be choosing a topic, grouped by the topic choice (Voyageurs, British Settlers, French Settlers, Fur Trade, Indigenous, or Metis), then presenting their chosen topic to the class.
- Spelling & Vocabulary: Students are working on spelling and building their vocabulary with the Words Their Way Program. Students will be tested on their words at the end of every week, so it is necessary they practice their word sorts daily in school and at home in order to keep progressing through the levels.
- Reading Comprehension: Students will be exploring grade level reading in social and science this week paired with comprehension questions and projects.
- Reading Practice: D.E.A.R (Drop Everything And Read) from 2:15-2:35 everyday we will do silent reading in class. Students at reading levels N-P will be receiving targeted literacy support during this time.
We will be finishing “The Stories & History of the People of Alberta” Unit:
Students will be independently creating an advertisement poster on immigrating to Alberta during the “Wild West” and highlighting what Alberta has to offer.
This week we will be continuing Unit D: Light and Shadows!
- Light & Eye Safety
- Light Sources
- Transparent, Translucent, and Opaque Materials
- Reflection & Refraction
This week we will be making pinhole cameras.
In Health we are now exploring “Lifelong Learning and Wellness Choices”: Students will use resources effectively to manage and explore life roles and career opportunities and challenges.
- We will identify how we can be learners at any age
- Distinguish between short term and long term goals
- Effective decision making skills
- Life roles and career development
- Personal Health: Including puberty, body image, health risks of smoking, environmental factors relating to personal health
|Leader in Me|
Habit #5 – Seek First To Understand, Then To Be Understood
In Habit #5 – Seek First To Understand, Then To Be Understood, we will be learning & practicing these skills this month:
- Seek First To Understand: Seek First to Understand, Then to Be Understood emphasizes the importance of good communication. Good communication starts with truly understanding each other.
- Listen with Eyes, Ears, and Heart: Listening is more than just hearing another person. It is seeking to understand. That is why effective leaders listen with their eyes, ears, and heart.
- Honesty: Seeking to be understood involves trust. One way to build trust with others is to be honest. Honesty is the gateway to effective communication.
- Public Speaking: Speaking confidently is included in the second part of Habit 5, which is “…Then to Be Understood.” Each time you speak in public, you have an opportunity to grow in your leadership strength and influence.
Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. You can send me a message on Remind or send me an e-mail.