Dear grade four families,
|Coming Up & Due Dates…|
- Valentine’s Due at WGH – Feb. 8 … Due this monday!
- Friendship Week – Feb 8-11
- Parent-Teacher Interviews – Feb 10 & 11 … Make sure you are signed up!
- PLF #8 (NO SCHOOL) – Feb 12
- Family Day (NO SCHOOL) – Feb 15
- Teacher’s Convention (NO SCHOOL) – Feb 22-26 (week off)
- Term 2 Report Cards Go Home – Mar 19
|Parent Info. & Thank You|
Valentine’s are due Monday to the class. We will then quarantine them, so they can be taken home on Thursday. Please respect the no food/candy/treat rule that FMPSD has put in place regarding Valentines this year. The rule is put in place based on COVID-19 rules & restrictions. I am very excited for our Valentine’s Day class celebrations this year, maybe we will have even earned a marble class reward by then? 🙂
Please have students bring in their new reading log to me this monday (tomorrow) and every Monday following, to earn their “OH SNAP!” points. (This change from digital to paper is due to low activity on their online reading logs so I think a paper version will be better to log and track.)
Reminder: Reading every night for 20 mins 5x a week is their assigned homework in grade 4 (as well as Mathletics 3x a week, and their words their way sorts for 10-15 minutes every night), they truly need to make this a priority at home in order to continue to progress in their literacy, comprehension, spelling, and numeracy.
Pink Group will be finishing (Unit 2) and tested this week then moving onto multiplication (Woo!):
- Solving Addition & Subtraction Problems
- Unit Test
- Investigating Equal Groups
- Relating Multiplication and Repeated Addition
Purple Group will be finishing Unit 3 then moving onto Unit 8 to be further challenged with Multiplication and Division:
- Dividing by Numbers 1 to 9
- Posing and Solving Problems
- Unit Test
Green Group will be finishing Unit 8 then will move onto Unit 4 (Measurement):
- Division with Remainders
- Using Base Ten Blocks to Divide
- Another Strategy for Division
- Unit Test
Blue Group will be tested on Unit 8 and will start Unit 4 – Measurement:
- Unit Test
- Calendar Time
- Exploring Time
- Telling Time
- Elapsed Time
- Writing: This week we will spend 30 minutes a day researching and writing about a dinosaur of their choice. We are learning to write a proper report (expository writing). We will be doing this over the next week and a bit.
- Spelling & Vocabulary: Students are working on spelling and building their vocabulary with the Words Their Way Program and our new Vocabulary Passport. Students will be tested on their words at the end of every week, so it is necessary they practice their word sorts daily in school and at home in order to keep progressing through the levels.
- Grammar: Students will be working on sentence structure, simple vs. complex sentences, complete sentences vs. fragments, and proper paragraphs (including a topic sentence, 3 supporting sentences, and a conclusion paragraph) in our new dinosaur research project writing.
- Reading Comprehension: Students are finishing the novel study Frindle, and read chapters 12-15 paired with vocabulary and comprehension work.
- Reading Practice: D.E.A.R (Drop Everything And Read) from 2:15-2:35 everyday we will do silent reading in class. Students at reading levels J-M will be receiving targeted literacy support during this time.
We are learning about Drumheller, the Badlands of Alberta and Dinosaurs this week! They will be writing a report on a dinosaur of their choice as well as creating a poster on visiting the Badlands of Alberta.
Science is completed until March where we will be learning about Unit D: Light and Shadows!
In Health this week we will be completing a final project on our relationships unit. Students will get to create a project on any of the following topics they like:
- Positive vs. Negative Interactions
- Respect vs. Disrespect
- Managing Feelings
- Healthy Feelings
- Learning From Life
- Goal Setting
|Leader in Me|
Habit #4 – Think Win-Win!
In Habit #4 – Think Win-Win, we will be learning and practicing these skills this month:
- Win-Win or No Deal – Think Win-Win requires at least two people. When each person benefits from the relationship, they both win. There are four types of relationships (Lose-Lose, Lose-Win, Win-Lose, and Win-Win or No Deal).
- Courage and Consideration– Leaders who Think Win-Win balance courage and consideration. They have courage to stand up for what they want and believe in, yet have consideration for what others want.
- Loyal to the Absent – Think Win-Win compares friendship to a bank account. When you do things to strengthen a relationship, you make a deposit in that person’s Emotional Bank Account. Being loyal to the absent is a big deposit.
Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. You can send me a message on Remind or send me an e-mail.