Dear grade four families,
|Coming Up & Due Dates…|
- Division Professional Learning Day (NO SCHOOL) – Jan 29
- Parent-Teacher Interviews – Feb 10 & 11
- PLF #8 (NO SCHOOL) – Feb 12
- Family Day (NO SCHOOL) – Feb 15
- Teacher’s Convention (NO SCHOOL) – Feb 22-26 (week off)
- Term 2 Report Cards Go Home – Mar 19
|Parent Info. & Thank You|
This is another five day week for the students! Please make sure your child is practicing their words their way sorts every night for roughly 10-15 minutes, it truly makes all the difference. Every Monday I give your child an extra sheet of word sorts to take home. If you find your child is not bringing their sheet of word sorts home please talk to them about it and remind me to chat with them as well as they need to learn to be responsible for bringing these home to study with. A copy of their words will also be posted on google classroom weekly under “Words Their Way”.
Please make sure you and your child are checking powerschool to see what marks they are getting on various assignments as I try and update weekly. If you ever have any questions or concerns about marks they are receiving please contact me, I appreciate it.
Pink Group will be working through the following (Unit 2):
- Estimating Sums
- Adding 3-Digit & 4-Digit Numbers
- Estimating Differences
- Subtracting 3-Digit & 4-Digit Numbers
- Solving Addition & Subtraction Problems
Purple Group will be working through the following (Unit 3):
- Using Doubles to Multiply
- Multiplying by 1, by 0, and by 10
- Using Skip Counting to Multiply
- Other Strategies for Multiplying
- Using Patterns in a Multiplication Chart
Green Group will be working through the following then tested on Unit 3 at the end of the week (Thursday/Friday):
- Using Arrays to Divide
- Relating Multiplication and Division
- Dividing by Numbers 1 to 9
- Posing and Solving Problems
Blue Group will be working through the following (Unit 8):
- Exploring Multiplication Patterns
- Estimating Products
- Using Models to Multiply
- Other Strategies for Multiplication
- Using Patterns to Multiply
- Writing: This week we will spend 30 minutes a day on Journal Writing & Editing focusing on only 1 topic per week for the next few weeks.
- Spelling: Students are working on spelling and building their vocabulary with the Words Their Way Program. Students will be tested on their words at the end of every week, so it is necessary they practice their word sorts daily in school and at home in order to keep progressing through the levels.
- Grammar: Students will be working on sentence structure, simple vs. complex sentences, and complete sentences vs. fragments.
- Reading Comprehension: Students are continuing the novel study Frindle, this week they will complete an author study, read chapters 3-7, and write/create a prank of their own.
- Reading Practice: D.E.A.R (Drop Everything And Read) from 2:15-2:35 everyday we will do silent reading in class.
Social Studies/Art this week will be painting the topographic maps of Alberta we made out of salt dough in December.
In the next few weeks students will be dedicated to learning about simple machines: Inclined Planes & Wedges, Fixed & Moveable Pulleys, Levers & Medieval Levers, and Forces (Contact vs. Non-Contact).
In Health this week we will be continuing our unit on relationships focusing on:
- Managing Our Feelings
- Healthy Feelings
|Leader in Me|
Habit #3 – Put First Things First!
In Habit #3 – Put First Things First, we will be continuing to practice these skills this month:
- Prioritize – Leaders learn to prioritize and do the most important things first.
- Say No to Less Important Things – Saying no to less important things gives you time to focus on the important things in your life and what really matters.
- Roles & Goals – You play many roles – son or daughter, student, team member, friend, sibling, class leader, and more! With each role you have important things to do! Use your skills of prioritizing and saying no to less important things to help you thrive in each of your roles.
- Organization – Organized leaders are efficient; they are able to do more with their same amount of time.
Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. You can send me a message on Remind or send me an e-mail.