Dear grade four families,
|Coming Up & Due Dates…|
- PLF #7 (NO SCHOOL) – Jan 15
- Division Professional Learning Day (NO SCHOOL) – Jan 29
- PLF #8 (NO SCHOOL) – Feb 12
- Family Day (NO SCHOOL) – Feb 15
- Teacher’s Convention (NO SCHOOL) – Feb 22-26 (week off)
|Parent Info. & Thank You|
Thank you for all your amazing effort & dedication to helping make e-learning week (Jan 4-8) a success! I was AMAZED with how incredible the students did from a distance and the fantastic attendance. I am excited to race our balloon cars tomorrow!
Students will be assessed on their e-learning assignments from last week.
Pink & Purple Group will be assessed on the following:
- Estimating Sums
- Adding 2-Digit & 3-Digit Numbers
- Using Mental Math to Add
- Estimating Differences
- Subtracting 2-Digit & 3-Digit Numbers
- Using Mental Math to Subtract
- Solving Addition & Subtraction Problems
Green Group will be assessed on the following:
- Using Doubles to Multiply
- Multiplying by 1, by 0, and by 10
- Using Skip Counting to Multiply
- Other Strategies for Multiplying
- Using Patterns in a Multiplication Chart
- Writing: This week we will spend 30 minutes a day on Journal Writing.
- Spelling: Students are working on spelling and building their vocabulary with the Words Their Way Program. Students will be tested on their words at the end of every week, so it is necessary they practice their word sorts daily.
- Grammar: Students will be working on sentence structure, simple vs. complex sentences.
- Reading Comprehension: Students are beginning a new novel study called Frindle (one of my personal favourites).
- Reading Practice: D.E.A.R (Drop Everything And Read) from 11-11:30 everyday on Reading Eggs or a physical book at home.
No Social Studies this week.
In the next few weeks students will be dedicated to learning about simple machines: Inclined Planes & Wedges, Fixed & Moveable Pulleys, Levers & Medieval Levers, and Forces (Contact vs. Non-Contact).
This is the video we will be watching in class to learn about Simple Machines this week (you can watch it together as a family at home too if you’d like):
These are the videos we will be watching in class to learn about Inclined Planes & Wedges this week (you can watch them together as a family at home too if you’d like)
In Health this week we will be starting our unit on relationships focusing on:
- Positive vs. Negative Interactions
- Being Respectful
- Managing Our Feelings
- Healthy Feelings
|Leader in Me|
Habit #3 – Put First Things First!
In Habit #3 – Put First Things First, we will be continuing to practice these skills:
- Prioritize – Leaders learn to prioritize and do the most important things first.
- Say No to Less Important Things – Saying no to less important things gives you time to focus on the important things in your life and what really matters.
- Roles & Goals – You play many roles – son or daughter, student, team member, friend, sibling, class leader, and more! With each role you have important things to do! Use your skills of prioritizing and saying no to less important things to help you thrive in each of your roles.
- Organization – Organized leaders are efficient; they are able to do more with their same amount of time.
Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. You can send me a message on Remind or send me an e-mail.