Dear grade four families,
|Coming Up & Due Dates…|
- School Spirit Week – Dec 14-17
- PLF #5 (NO SCHOOL) – Dec 18
|Parent Info. & Thank You|
Thank you for everything you have done to support your child in their learning over the past 4 months. Only two more weeks till a much deserved break!
Any teacher or friend christmas gifts you plan on giving/bringing to the school should be ideally delivered to the school by Monday Dec. 14th, so they can be quarantined for 72 hours before opening. Thanks for all your extra efforts! They do not go unnoticed. 🙂
Students are continuing Unit 2: Whole Numbers this week. In this unit we will be exploring & learning:
- Lesson 1 Whole Numbers to 10 000
- Lesson 2 Comparing and Ordering Numbers
- Lesson 3 Sorting Numbers
- Lesson 4 Estimating Sums
- Lesson 5 Using Mental Math to Add
- Lesson 6 Adding 3-Digit Numbers
- Lesson 7 Adding 4-Digit Numbers
- Lesson 8 Estimating Differences
- Lesson 9 Using Mental Math to Subtract
- Lesson 10 Subtracting 3-Digit Numbers
- Lesson 12 Subtracting 4-Digit Numbers
- Lesson 13 Solving Addition and Subtraction Problems
- Addition & Subtraction Word Problems
(The lessons in bold are the ones we are working through this week.)
Students will be tested on their knowledge of this unit by Thursday Dec. 17.
Please have your children practice these concepts on the assignments i’ve assigned them on Mathletics. They should be going onto Mathletics about 3x a week for 15-20 minutes a session.
They can also practice these concepts on:
- Writing: This week we will spend 30 minutes a day continuing our research about various countries in our “Christmas (and Other Holidays) Around The World Paper Bag Book“. This week we are exploring: Greece, Japan, Argentina, and India. We will also be exploring Kwanzaa, Hanukkah, Diwali, and Chinese New Year this week and next as we finish our paper bag books!
- Grammar: Constantly focusing on punctuation, complete sentences, nouns, verbs, adverbs, adjectives, and past, present, and future tense.
- Spelling: Students are working on spelling and building their vocabulary with the Words Their Way Program. Students will be tested on their words at the end of every week, receiving new words on the following Monday.
- There word sorts for the week are all posted on google classroom for you. Some students will also be bringing home their words every monday for you to study together at home.
- Reading Comprehension: Our reading comprehension until Winter Break is tied to our research project “Christmas (and Other Holidays) Around The World Paper Bag Book“. Everyday students have to read a large informational text about that countries’ Christmas traditions. Pink and Purple group have support from the teacher when reading these texts.
- Reading Practice: End of day reading: D.E.A.R (Drop Everything And Read)
Students are learning about “A Sense of the Land: Alberta“. This week they are:
- Alberta’s 6 Natural Regions Brochure due Monday Dec 7th, 2020.
- This week we created salt dough dinosaur fossils to prep for our Alberta/Drumheller/Badlands Unit in January.
Students are currently working on the Waste and Our World Unit.
This week & next students will be:
- Comparing the advantages & disadvantages of composting.
- Learning the difference between recyclable and non-recyclable items.
- Comparing the advantages and disadvantages of recycling.
- Understanding landfills.
In health we are focusing on wellness choices until Christmas. We want students to learn to display safe and responsible behaviours in their daily lives to manage risks and prevent injuries. Three topics we will be focusing on in this unit:
- Proper play on the playground at school (safety and responsibility) for winter months and in their daily lives will take place the week before winter break so they stay safe whilst on Christmas Vacation.
|Leader in Me|
We have begun Habit #3 – Put First Things First!
In Habit #3 – Put First Things First, this is what we will be learning & focusing on:
- Prioritize – Leaders learn to prioritize and do the most important things first.
- Say No to Less Important Things – Saying no to less important things gives you time to focus on the important things in your life and what really matters.
- Roles & Goals – You play many roles – son or daughter, student, team member, friend, sibling, class leader, and more! With each role you have important things to do! Use your skills of prioritizing and saying no to less important things to help you thrive in each of your roles.
- Organization – Organized leaders are efficient; they are able to do more with their same amount of time.
Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. You can send me a message on Remind or send me an e-mail.
I can’t believe we only have two weeks until winter break!