Dear grade four families,
|Coming Up & Due Dates…|
- Division Professional Learning Day (NO SCHOOL) – Dec 4
- PLF #5 (NO SCHOOL) – Dec 18
|Parent Info. & Thank You|
Thank you for checking our class website every week to see what your child is learning & staying updated on our class activities! Three more weeks of dedicated learning and then we are off for our well deserved winter break! 🙂
Students are continuing Unit 2: Whole Numbers this week. In this unit we will be exploring & learning:
- Lesson 1 Whole Numbers to 10 000
- Lesson 2 Comparing and Ordering Numbers
- Lesson 3 Sorting Numbers
- Lesson 4 Estimating Sums
- Lesson 5 Using Mental Math to Add
- Lesson 6 Adding 3-Digit Numbers
- Lesson 7 Adding 4-Digit Numbers
- Lesson 8 Estimating Differences
- Lesson 9 Using Mental Math to Subtract
- Lesson 10 Subtracting 3-Digit Numbers
- Lesson 12 Subtracting 4-Digit Numbers
- Lesson 13 Solving Addition and Subtraction Problems
(The lessons in bold are the ones we are working through this week.)
Please have your children practice these concepts on the assignments i’ve assigned them on Mathletics. They should be going onto Mathletics about 3x a week for 15-20 minutes a session.
They can also practice these concepts on:
- Writing: This week we will spend 30 minutes a day continuing our research about various countries in our “Christmas (and Other Holidays) Around The World Paper Bag Book“. This week we are exploring: Australia, Spain, Greenland, and Brazil.
- Grammar: Constantly focusing on punctuation, complete sentences, nouns, verbs, adverbs, adjectives, and past, present, and future tense.
- Spelling: Students are working on spelling and building their vocabulary with the Words Their Way Program. Students will be tested on their words at the end of every week, receiving new words on the following Monday.
- There word sorts for the week are all posted on google classroom for you. Some students will also be bringing home their words every monday for you to study together at home.
- Reading Comprehension: Our reading comprehension until Winter Break is tied to our research project “Christmas (and Other Holidays) Around The World Paper Bag Book“. Everyday students have to read a large informational text about that countries’ Christmas traditions. Pink and Purple group have support from the teacher when reading these texts.
- Reading Practice: End of day reading: D.E.A.R (Drop Everything And Read)
Students are learning about “A Sense of the Land: Alberta“. This week they are:
- Critically examine physical geography – This week we are studying Alberta’s physical geography by glazing and painting our salt dough replicas of Alberta!
- Completing Alberta’s 6 Natural Regions (Foothills, Canadian Shield, Rocky Mountains, Parkland, Grassland, and Boreal Forest) Brochure
- Test! Students will be tested on their knowledge of the physical geography of Alberta in a mini quiz which will happen TBA.
Students are currently working on the Waste and Our World Unit.
This week students will be finishing their project on composting and creating an informational poster (in partners) for the students of WGH to explain to them what composting is, what items can and cannot be composted, the steps to creating your very own compost at home, the advantages and disadvantages of composting and the problems that can occur with compost.
Next week we will move on to our final lesson in this unit: recycling! Stay tuned to see what project we will be doing to learn about reducing, reusing, and recycling!
In health we are focusing on wellness choices until Christmas. We want students to learn to display safe and responsible behaviours in their daily lives to manage risks and prevent injuries. Three topics we will be focusing on in this unit:
- Lesson 1: Food choices & healthy eating: We will be starting our “Healthy Food Truck Project” this week! Stay tuned to see what the students create!
- Lesson 2: Proper play on the playground at school (safety and responsibility) for winter months and in their daily lives will take place the week before winter break so they stay safe whilst on Christmas Vacation.
|Leader in Me|
We have begun Habit #3 – Put First Things First!
In Habit #3 – Put First Things First, this is what we will be learning & focusing on:
- Prioritize – Leaders learn to prioritize and do the most important things first.
- Say No to Less Important Things – Saying no to less important things gives you time to focus on the important things in your life and what really matters.
- Roles & Goals – You play many roles – son or daughter, student, team member, friend, sibling, class leader, and more! With each role you have important things to do! Use your skills of prioritizing and saying no to less important things to help you thrive in each of your roles.
- Organization – Organized leaders are efficient; they are able to do more with their same amount of time.
Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. You can send me a message on Remind or send me an e-mail.
I can’t believe we only have three weeks until winter break!