Dear grade four families,
|Coming Up & Due Dates…|
- Parent-Teacher Interview Night – Nov 9 (My Birthday! LOL) from 5-8pm
- Parent-Teacher Interview Night – Nov 10 from 3-6pm
- Remembrance Day Virtual Ceremony – Nov 10 at 10:45am
- Remembrance Day (NO SCHOOL) – Nov 11
- Virtual Awards Ceremony #2 –Nov 19
- PLF #4 (NO SCHOOL) – Nov 20
- Day in Lieu PTI (NO SCHOOL) – Nov 23 (This is a day teachers get off because of all the hours they work overtime for Parent-Teacher Interviews, we get them twice a year because PTIs happen twice a year.)
- Report Card #1 (go home) – Nov 27
|Parent Info. & Thank You|
Parent-teacher interviews are happening this week! Thank you to everyone who signed up! I love chatting with all of you about your child’s progress.
Students are starting Unit 2: Whole Numbers this week. In this unit we will be exploring & learning:
- Lesson 1 Whole Numbers to 10 000
- Lesson 2 Comparing and Ordering Numbers
- Lesson 3 Sorting Numbers
- Lesson 4 Estimating Sums
- Lesson 5 Using Mental Math to Add
- Lesson 6 Adding 3-Digit Numbers
- Lesson 7 Adding 4-Digit Numbers
- Lesson 8 Estimating Differences
- Lesson 9 Using Mental Math to Subtract
- Lesson 10 Subtracting 3-Digit Numbers
- Lesson 12 Subtracting 4-Digit Numbers
- Lesson 13 Solving Addition and Subtraction Problems
Here are some videos on the first few concepts in this unit to watch and discuss as a family!
You may have your children practice these concepts on the assignments i’ve assigned them on Mathletics.
They can also practice these concepts on:
- Journalling: This week we will spend 30-45 minutes journaling about various topics.
- Grammar: Focus on punctuation, complete sentences, nouns, verbs, adverbs, adjectives, and past, present, and future tense.
- Spelling: Students are working on spelling and building their vocabulary with the Words Their Way Program. Students will be tested on their words at the end of every week, receiving new words on the following Monday.
- If you are confused about how to practice the Words Their Way Program with your child (if you are doing home learning, at sometime during the year), watch these helpful videos below.
- Words Their Way Video #1
- Words Their Way Video #2
- There word sorts for the week are all posted on google classroom for you.
- Reading Comprehension: This week we will have 5 different groups within the class doing 4 different reading comprehension stories. For example, some of us will be reading “Forgetful Herb Soup”, other students will be reading “Lizzie the Lizard: Reptile Detective”; this will allow me to target each individual students’ reading, comprehension, and writing needs. Throughout the week, I will be pulling each group individually everyday day, while also having them work independently, in pairs, and in small groups. Working & learning in a variety of ways is incredibly beneficial to students to make them well rounded learners.
- Reading Practice: End of day reading: D.E.A.R (Drop Everything And Read)
Students are beginning to learn about “A Sense of the Land: Alberta“. They will be able to:
- Critically examine physical geography
- Reflect on issues/questions relating to geography
- Valuing physical geography & natural environment of Alberta’s 6 regions
Students are currently working on the Waste and Our World Unit.
- This week we are finishing our final decomposer projects, which will be assessed for the report card.
- We will then be exploring methods of disposal: composting, recycling, landfill, and incineration.
- We will be graphing the different types of disposal for our class to see what methods are most and least popular!
In health we are focusing on wellness choices this term. We want students to learn to display safe and responsible behaviours in their daily lives to manage risks and prevent injuries. Three topics we will be focusing on in this unit:
- Lesson 1: Food choices & healthy eating (especially after Halloween)
- Lesson 2: Proper attire for winter months
- Lesson 3: Proper play on the playground at school (safety and responsibility) for winter months and in their daily lives
|Leader in Me|
We are working on Habit #2 – Begin with the End in Mind! We are learning that:
- We needed to center our life around principles. Principles are timeless and universal such as: honesty, fairness, respect, and responsibility.
- We need to set goals. Most leaders have many goals they want to pursue, yet wise leaders know that some goals are more important than others.
- Make a plan. Leaders who begin with the end in mind know it is not enough to just have goals, but they must also need a plan in order to get there.
Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. You can send me a message on Remind or send an e-mail to email@example.com.
I can’t believe it is the second week of November already, this is so exciting! Please make sure that although we are eating a lot of halloween candy this month, that we are also being mindful about eating well-balanced healthy meals and drinking plenty of water.